(English – For Dutch)
The Lonely Coyote – Guitar tales
Marc van Vugt – acoustic guitars
New release 2022
On ‘The Lonely Coyote’ every guitar tells a story. The whispers of a gentle poem in your ear, the scream of a heartfelt drama, and in each of them Marc van Vugt’s guitar speaks with its own voice. Acoustic guitar music in the tradition of Bill Connors, Ralph Towner, Pat Metheny and Egberto Gismonti.
“My love for guitar started when I was 11 years old and heard the first chord of ‘A Hard Day’s Night’. I was mesmerized by what I heard and was completely absorbed by that sound. At that moment I knew that this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
I love writing for large ensembles, choirs and orchestras. Although the guitar has always been a big part of this, it was never the absolute center of my projects. For ‘The Lonely Coyote’ I decided to strip down my music to just me and my guitar. Not just one guitar: each song is played on a different acoustic guitar with its own sound and its own voice. Each telling a different story, whispering in your ear or at times screaming of emotions.”
Marc van Vugt
Dutch Grammy winner Marc van Vugt is known as a musician and composer who constantly surprises with his own projects. These take place in the intimacy of smaller ensembles or in original cross-over projects such as with the Netherlands Chamber Choir and the Metropole Orchestra. Marc performs internationally with his own groups and projects and meets colleagues from the field in his long- running series Marc Meets. His compositions reflect Marc’s experience in jazz and improvised music and contemporary composed music. The music is characterized by long, associative lines that often have melancholic overtones. Reviewers praise his eye for detail and the colorful harmonic elaboration that give the compositions their unique signature. “Music that stays in your head for a long time”. Marc has his own music series ‘Marc meets…’since 2015 in which he invites national and internationally famous colleagues in the intimacy of his ‘theater living room’ in the theater in his home town Houten.
The first reviews of The Lonely Coyote are coming in:
- ‘The Lonely Coyote has become a bleeding-heart album, …the result of his quest has nothing to do with modesty: this CD is magnificent!.’ Rinus van Der Heijden JazzNU
- ‘…They also learn what feeling sounds like for a change, for example in Innocent Children.’ Coen de Jonge Jazzism
- ‘A very accessible and above all fascinating album … a combination of fine melody lines, sound challenges and clearly audible experience’ Eric De Boer Hifi.nl
- “Guitarist van Vugt offers up a beautiful bonanza of acoustic guitar textures and deft playing in the spirit of works by Bill Connors, Ralph Towner, Pat Metheny and Egberto Gismonti.Michael Ross GuitarModerne
- A sampling of the ingenuity of a true guitarist…You could also say this is van Vugt’s dessert, …from pure demonstrations to highly empathetic work’. Jazz Bulletin
- ‘The Lonely Coyote – Guitar Tales has become a remarkably beautiful album. For this man definitely knows what he is doing and knows how to captivate the listener from the first to the last note with his eight(!) guitars.’ NieuweNoten Ban Taffijn
- ‘Jede “Geschichte” ist anders – alle sind wunderschön. Eine großartige im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes akustische Reise in Gefilde des Jazz, der brasilianischen Gitarrenmusik, der freien Improvisation…. und ja, auch des Rock. Sehr zu empfehlen! Norbert Mendel Er-em-online
- ‘The strengths of this album are superb playing which never tries too hard to be virtuosic and a feeling of improvisation, with excellent compositions throughout.’ – Stephen Godsall JazzHalo.be
- ‘A wealth of atmospheres passes by in sophisticated pieces with the average duration of a pop song. A versatile, virtuosic and accessible album’ Christel Meijer, Jazzenzo.nl
- ‘Lonely Coyote turns out to be a stealthily measured outing for baritone steel-string guitar reminiscent of Ralph Towner…. intimate and frequently crystalline music.’ – Jim Gilchrist, The Scotsman
EPK The Lonely Coyote – Marc van Vugt
- Ideal concert length is 1 set of 45 minutes or 2 sets of 30 minutes
- Can be booked in combination with duo Ineke Vandoorn & Marc van Vugt